Special education services are mandated or required for all eligible students with disabilities in K-12 education.
Services through adult agencies may have eligibility requirements and waitlists. Partnerships between the school,
family, and agencies are an important aspect of the transition planning process.

IDEA requires that the student’s Individual Education Program (IEP) include statements of interagency
responsibilities or any linkages that are needed for the student to successfully transition (§300.347(b)(2)). A
representative from any agency that is likely to provide or pay for transition services during the current school year
(§300.344(b)(3)) must be invited to the IEP meeting.

There are many agencies that serve youth and adults with disabilities. Some offer vocational and residential
services, others provide personal support or financial assistance. State agencies have services available in most
local communities throughout the state, however it is important to identify locally what is available in your

Community Youth Concepts

Mainstream Living

National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI)

Job Corps – Ottumwa  Denison

Connect the Dots 4 Life

Balance Autism


Iowa Total Care

Children at Home

Consumer Choices Option

Community Support Advocates

Eyerly Ball



Orchard Place

Iowa Child Care Resource & Referral

Goodwill of Central Iowa

Easterseals Iowa